Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Another Commute - COOL!

Today was the first commute where I kept the wheels down the whole way, both directions! That was quite cool.

Fairly cool, about 45 degrees, this morning. I rode in shorts, a t-shirt, and a sweatshirt. The first half-mile or so was pretty brisk. Then the furnace kicked in and I was warm and sweaty the rest of the trip. Standard 4.78 miles in to work in about 45 minutes for an average speed of 6.3 mph. This mornings top speed was 22.1 mph.

This afternoon was perfect bike weather. Slight northwest wind and about 70 degrees with lots of blue sky and sunshine. Very nice. The computer reports 4.39 miles home. Seeing as I rode the same route as this morning, only backwards, unless I was riding a wheely that's bogus. I have to look at the speed sensor before bed tonight. The computer reports 4.39 miles in 27:22 for an average speed of 9.6 mph. Since I know that the ride is 4.78 miles I recalculated average speed to be 10.5 mph for that distance. The computer also reports a top speed of 26.1 mph.

About an hour after each leg of the two prevous commutes I have had moderate low back pain and stiffness. It was bad enough to make standing up difficult and wouldn't be knocked back by Tylenol or Ibuprofen. I asked about it at bentrideronline.com. One of the respondents asked if I was sliding forward in my seat. Well I was. He suggested that I was riding on the back of my butt rather than actually on my bottom. So I tilted the seat back on notch and slid the seat forward about 1/4 inch. No pain today after ether leg. Very cool!

Every day I like this ride more. Of course it helps that I can see improvement in comfort and speed with each ride.

Be safe out there and keep the wheels down!

No comments: